Where we started
At ENGIE, we have been driving innovation for more than 180 years. Today, we are changing the face of energy by creating and developing a diverse range of energy Solutions, backed with global expertise and locally focused customer service.
Universal Suez Canal Company formed
The history of ENGIE began in the 1800’s at the height of the Industrial Revolution in France and Belgium. Since then, we’ve never stood still. We’ve diversified and shifted to low-carbon alternatives in response to changes in society and have continually strived to enhance the way we live our lives.
Gaz de France created
Hazelwood Power Station Commences Generation
Hazelwood Power Corporation formed
ENGIE comes to Australia
ENGIE came to Australia in 1996, and we’re now part of communities all over Australia and New Zealand. Driven by our ambition to contribute to harmonious progress, we have taken up major global challenges such as the fight against global warming, access to energy for all, mobility, and offer our customers and communities energy and services solutions that promote new and better ways of living and working.
Hazelwood Power Corporation rebrands to International Power
SUEZ and Gaz de France merge to firm GDF SUEZ
GDF SUEZ acquires International Power
GDF SUEZ rebrands to ENGIE
ENGIE Services created
In 2015, ENGIE brought together Trilogy Building Services, Spectrum Fire & Security, DESA, Cowley Services and Cofely Australia to provide customers with multi-disciplined building maintenance services managed by a single account manager. EQUANS is the new business name for ENGIE Services, operating under a separate entity within ENGIE.
- Trilogy Building Services, founded in 1970, was a national provider of HVAC, Refrigeration and Mechanical services in Australia.
- Spectrum Fire & Security was established in 2006 through the amalgamation of several successful fire protection businesses across Australia to form a stronger, national organisation.
- DESA was established in 1989 to provide a professional service of installing communications and electrical cabling systems to all market sectors in Australia and New Zealand.
- Established in 1956, Cowley has proudly earned a reputation as the market leader in Refrigeration and HVAC services in New Zealand.
- Cofely Australia was the Energy Services division of GDF SUEZ – a world leader in providing building maintenance services and energy solutions for over 40 years.
ENGIE begins Hazelwood Rehabilitation Project
ENGIE sells Loy Yang B power station
ENGIE opens Willogoleche Wind Farm in July
Where we are today
Today, ENGIE is setting the standard in Australia and New Zealand in lower carbon generation, renewables, energy efficiency and technology-based solutions. We celebrate our long and proud history, as we reap the benefits of global expertise while focusing on the needs of our local customers.