Searching great energy plans for you

one moment...

Message Title

Message subtitle
Back to Help Centre

Request an additional meter read

If you have received a substituted or estimated bill, you can submit a self-service meter read by logging in to MyENGIE.

ENGIE will then reissue your bill to reflect your actual usage, provided the difference between the estimated/substituted read and your self-service read is more than 150 units for electricity and 100 units for gas. 

Special Check Read

If you believe an actual read completed by your energy distributor is incorrect, we can request a special check to confirm your energy usage at your own cost.  

Once a special check has been completed, your account will be updated to reflect your actual usage. You will only charged for the energy you consumed during the billing period, and the adjustment will be reflected on your next bill.   

How do I arrange a special check read?

Contact us to arrange a special meter reading.  

Meter reads can be scheduled on weekdays during business hours. You will need to ensure safe and clear access to your meter during the appointment. Please allow at least 10 business days for your appointment to be scheduled.

Please note: There is a fee associated with special meter reads. 

How is usage measured?

Whether its electricity or gas, you will have a meter at your property to measure and record the amount of energy you have used. Electricity is measured in kilowatt hours (kWh) and gas in megajoules (MJ). A meter reader from the local network distributor in your area will usually come out and read your meter, and it's these reads that we use to prepare your energy bills. In instances where we are not provided with actual meter reads from the distributor, we may need to use an estimate or substituted meter read until we are supplied with the actual meter read by the distributor but we will tell you on your bills.

For interval electricity meters, reads are obtained remotely via a communication network. There may be times a meter reader from the local network distributor in your area will have to attend the site to extract the data.

To find out the read type used for your ENGIE bill, simply check the bill reference letter next to the reading. 

Requesting Metering or Billing Information

Customer Request
You can request your metering or billing information for up to two years. To raise a data request, you will need to give ENGIE authority to obtain your information. Please provide the following information with your request.  

Contact us to submit your request. 

Customer Type Information required
Residential Customer




Required date range

NMI/MIRN (if available)  

Small to Medium Business Customers

Business Name


Your name  

Business address

Required date range

NMI/MIRN (if available) 

You can find your NMI or MIRN on the first page of your bill, below your customer number.   

Victorian customers, if you need the information for use with the Victorian Energy Compare website, let us know so we can provide your data in the correct format.

The NEM12 Retail User Guide includes helpful advice for reading the technical information in your report. 

Third Party Requests
To obtain metering or billing information on behalf of a customer, download and complete the below form and email the request to [email protected]. This form will need to be completed and scanned for each customer. 

View the Authorised Representative Form

Please describe, in Section 5 of the form, the information you are requesting. Please use a description from the following list:
• Victorian Energy Compare smart meter file electricity format
• Metering Data Provision Procedures (AEMO) electricity format
• Gas information 

What are Service Order Charges?

Contact us to organise energy connection, disconnection, meter addition and meter alteration services.

ENGIE will collect any fees and charges for these services on behalf of your distributor. These charges will be displayed on your ENGIE bill.  

You may also be charged an administration fee to organise such requests. 

What is a contract termination fee?

A contract termination fee may be applied to your final bill when you terminate a fixed-term contract before the expiry date.

You are advised of the amount of any contract termination fee at the time of entering into a fixed term contract. 

What is a MIRN?

You can find your MIRN on page 1 of your ENGIE bill, below your customer number.

A Meter Identification Reference Number (MIRN) is a unique number linked to your gas supply. It is used to track your usage and when you change retailers.  

Didn’t find what you were looking for?

Enter your search topic here